- Starting Apr 22nd
- Dates: 7-weeks series... 4/22, 4/28, 5/5, 5/12, 5/26, 6/02 & 6/09
- Infants on their backs from 1:10pm till 2:00pm
- Sitting, crawling, cruising babies from 12:00pm till 1:00pm
- Walking Toddlers from 10:30am till 11:50am
- Older Toddlers from 9:00am till 10:20am
- Location: Harlem - Pono education center at 124th street & 5th avenue
- Investment: $305 for 7-weeks series
- Enrollment for entire series ONLY! (joining after Apr 22nd possible if space allows)
RIE inspired Parent-Child classes, are based on the Magda Gerber's philosophy commonly called RIE.
RIE can be shortly described as "Parenting with Awareness" or "Art of Aware Parenting". It is a simple and revolutionary at the same time way of SEEING, APPROACHING and BEING with children of all ages, and particularly infants and young toddlers.
During those classes, children in the same developmental stage are gathered together and allowed to explore free in a safe, specifically designed environment, with an open-ended objects and various structures allowing them to develop their fine and gross motor skills, their awareness of self and others without being unnecessarily guided or interrupted.
Parents get to quietly observe their children and learn not to intervene. That builds parents' confidence in their supportive role and their trust in their child's abilities. The RIE facilitator is assuring children's safety.
At the beginning and end of each sessions, we allow time for discussion.
Topics for discussion often include:
- Age-appropriate expectations
- Reading your baby’s cues and signals and how best to respond
- The importance of play in children’s learning
- Fostering pro-social, physical and intellectual development and discipline based on your baby’s readiness
- Balancing parents’ and children’s needs and wants
- How you can help your child develop an innate self of worth and confidence
- Establishing clear, consistent, and appropriate limits
- Setting up a child-development conducive environment
- Adapting the home environment as baby grows
- Integrating RIE principles into everyday life in and out of the home
Typical session flow:
- Gathering and settling down
- Quiet observation time (30min)
- Sharing observation insights